The company of a dog is companionship for life. Dog lovers across the world would vouch for it! If you have recently brought a pet into your life, naming it is necessary. Giving your dog a name that you and your pet can identify with is a difficult task. This is where we come in.
This article will show you an A-Z list of names for your pet pooch in French. Be it a French breed, or just your appreciation for the universally known language of love – French – We are here to get you through it. French names roll off the tongue in the most sophisticated manner, and this je ne sais quoi is what makes these names stand out. Look out for great names for your German, Canadian, Matisse, and Mastiff dogs!
We have made sure to include names with beautiful and intricate meanings to test out on your furry friend whenever the time comes! The best part? These names are cute, quirky, fun, adorable, and regal!
Here are some things to keep in mind when choosing a French name for your dog:
- Short and Sweet: Keep the names short and sweet, because pronouncing a French name can prove to be a difficulty. A shorter name can carry as much panache as an elaborate one.
- Identifiable: Come attributes of your dog should reflect in the choice of name. This will make association easier and will create a bond between you and your pet that will last a lifetime.
- Colloquialism: The only downside to naming your dog in another language, if you do not speak it, is that some names are inappropriate and colloquial for something else in French.
- Pronouncing: The pronunciation of a French name with all its accents and qualities is a difficult job. The best way to seek an accurate pronunciation is to google the name. The search will reveal videos and clips of the correct version, and voila! You have a name.
- Renaming: Renaming your dog is a waste of the naming exercise. You aren’t only giving your dog a name so you can call it out. Your dog may not understand why you are calling him by a different name and may become confused. This is not ideal.
Keep in mind that French names do not just apply to French breeds like the French Bulldog, etc. These names apply to any dog that can identify with them.
Here is a list of over 200 French names inspired by the essence of France for your choosing. Look through the names, and if you like them, drop us a comment! We love to hear success stories!
300+ Best Name Selection to Choose From
Top 50 French Feminine Names for Your Dog
Meaningful French Girl Names for Dogs
- Bisous – Kisses
- Bijou – Jewel
- Bebe – Baby
- Coco – Chocolate
- Celine – Moon
- Delphine – Dolphin
- Elle – She
- Esme – Loved and Esteemed
- Francoise – French, Freedom
- Fleur – Flower
- Giselle – Pledge
- Hilarie – Merry, Cheerful
- Lyonette – Little Lion
- Ninon – Grace
- Papillon – Butterfly
- Odette– Melodic
- Soleil – Sun
- Vivienne – Lively
- Parfait – Perfection
- Mignon – Cute and Dainty
50 Best Male Names Inspired by the French
Meaningful French Names for a Male Dog
- Andre – Manly, Masculine
- Antoine – Priceless
- Aubin – Fair
- Beau – Handsome
- Chanceux – Lucky
- Danton – Deserving of Praise
- Enzo – Conqueror
- Felix – Happy go lucky
- Guy – Fighter
- Garcon – Boy, young man
- Heureux – Happy
- Luc – Light
- Lucian – One who brings light
- Marvel – Admiring and wondering
- Noel – Christmas
- Noir – Dark and Black
- Pascale – Lamb, Child of Easter
- Philippe – One who loves horses
- Rene – Rebirth
- Tristan – Bold
20 Best Names for French Bulldog Pups
Naming a girl or boy Frenchie puppy? Searching for French bulldog names? Look no further!
30 Best French Riviera and Province Names to Give to Dogs
These names are inspired by the locations, historical landmarks, and cities in France. Use these names to enhance the personality of your dog!
|Reims (Pronounced ‘Raace’)||Brussels||Aunis|
30 Best French People Names to Give to Your Dog
|Monet||Victor Hugo||Gerard Depardieu|
|Matisse||Louis||Jean Paul Gaultier|
30 Best French History Names to Give to Your Dog
The rich history and culture provide for some great name inspiration. Here are some names to make a choice from when choosing a French name with historical significance for your pet!
|Joan of Arc||Fontaine||Francois Ier|
|Dumas||Jules Verne||August Renoir|
30 Best French Boy Names to Suit a Dog
Whether naming a boy Frenchie puppy, or a rescue dog of any breed at all, this list is your best friend! Find yourself a cool French name from below!
30 Best French Cuisine Inspired Dog Names
Here is a list of the best French names for your dog relating to French cuisine. Enjoy!
Be it French boy dog names, or French girl names – this article contains a pretty conclusive list. However, it is not exhaustible. Your choice of name will affect your bond with your pet.
So when choosing names, you must keep in mind that this is the name you are choosing for your dog for the rest of their lives. When chosen well, French names will come out sharp and elegant off your tongue and will remain close to your heart even after your dog passes. It is a reminder of love, history, and incredible culture, and your dog will thank you for it!
We sincerely hope that a name from this list makes it to your pet pooch’s collar, and helps in bringing forth another paw-rent and pet relationship. Whether you pick a foody name or one with historical connotations, you will never regret naming your dog a French name!