Young puppies and newly adopted dogs always feel insecure when they are initially added to a new family. Hence, it is always recommended to provide the furry pal with an indoor crate or kennel as this satisfies its natural den instinct.
Indoor kennels available in the market come in variant designs, size, material, and color. This article provides insights into the dual-purpose wooden dog crate that is in the trend nowadays.
What is a Wooden Dog Crate? How does it differ from the other pet kennels?
Wooden dog crates are a dog carrier or cage or crate that is a wood enclosed gadget with a door that a pet pal may use a place of refuge at home or when traveling to new surroundings.
A wooden dog crate has an upper hand over the other crate types because of its appearance. The material easily blends with the decor of the home hence it can be placed even in the living room of the house without any hassles.
The wooden pet crates are more comfortable over the metal, wired or plastic counterparts as the metal crates become cold at nights during winters while plastic one’s creek a lot when the dogs scratch it.
Best 7 Wooden Dog Crates and Cages for Everyday Use
This section reviews seven of the best wooden dog crates available in the market. The products are chosen based on the following factors: usefulness, cost, appearance, reliability, etc.
1. Casual Home Chappy Wooden Pet Crate
This wood pet crate end table provides a cozy, private spot for the pet to take rest and relax. The lockable gate door is quite strong so one can go away from home assuring that the escape artist will be confined to its region.
The rich finish and color variants aids in an easy blend with the other home furnishings. The End table design provides additional storage space and the solid wood construction enhances its durability and longevity.
The crate features a windowed door with wooden bars and a metal latch for safe closure. Available in three different finishes White, Black, and Espresso. This end table crate is available in five sizes for dog breeds ranging from 10 to 90lbs.
- Easy to assemble.
- End table blends well with the home decor.
- Premium furniture features solid wood construction that is durable and sturdy.
- Multiple vents make the crate roomy and ventilated offering a 360-degree view.
- Not recommended for non-crate trained pooches and large dog breeds.
- Puppies tend to chew the wooden bars.
- No crate tray available.
2. Merry Products Cage
A wooden and metal combo crate panels cover the main components of the crate giving it a more finished and interior-appropriate appearance like furniture.
The solid crate can be used as a side table in the living or bedroom to store personal stuff and one can ensure the pet is confined in its area as it also has a secure latch.
Available in three variant sizes that can accommodate a pet of any size. The crate also includes a removable plastic tray that can be easily pulled out for cleaning purposes.
A standout feature is the presence of a removable steel crate divider that can be used to partition the interior space to crate train the tiny furry puppies.
- Economical along with aesthetic appearance.
- Sturdy and durable.
- The crate also functions even without the wooden parts hence one can easily use it for carriage and transportation.
- Easy assembling and disassembling with no hardware tools.
- Compact and stylish design to comfortably blend in any home decor.
- Features a removable steel crate divider that can be used to partition the interior space to crate train the puppies.
- The top cover is easily removable hence large dogs can easily knock it off.
- The sliding latch can be easily opened by the escape artist.
3. Zoovilla Medium Slide Aside Crate and End Table
The wooden dog crate range has an attractive appearance, highly functional, and possesses an authentic kennel design. This pooch house has a sliding pan with a lid cover that hides the visibility of the pan.
The crate is built of MDF with solid wood veneer and metal rod construction hence it doubles as a side table. It also features a sliding and hinged door that can be retracted into the crate to making it invisible.
The crate also features a solid bottom panel and metal wire cage that is seen to enhance the overall durability of this crate combo. Not a tedious assembly procedure that requires only tightening a few screws.
- Retractable door for easy entry and exit.
- Stands up chewing to a larger extent due to the heavy metal bars and horizontal support in the walls.
- Strong, sturdy, stylish design.
- This crate comes in two variant colors: black and white.
- High-quality MDF construction.
- Not suitable as an all-day pet crate.
4. Richell Wooden End Table Crate
Richell’s new wooden end table crate allows for personal items to be stored on top, while the pet enjoys their bed or toys inside it. Completely built of wood, the crate is not only sturdy but also blends well with the home interiors.
Multiple vents in the crate provide 360-degree visibility and a well-ventilated environment for the pet. The door can be fully open for easy access and includes a side stopper also to keep it in place.
This stain-resistant crate also features a removable sliding tray for hassle-free cleaning. Well suitable for large size dog breeds up to 88 pounds.
- Stylish sturdy dog crate.
- Completely openable door with a stopper to hold it.
- The crate is available in two sizes variants medium and large and is suitable for dogs up to 88lbs.
- 360-degree ventilation for better airflow and visibility.
- Multipurpose usage as a pet crate as well as home decor.
- Customer reviews suggest that the measurements of the crate are not accurate.
- Not easy to assemble.
5. Crown Pet Products Wood Pet Crate End Table
This dog crate furniture features durable hardwood construction that mimics teak. The versatile door can be opened both ways for easy entry and exit.
Multiple vents provide offers pet 360-degree view and better airflow. The waterproof melamine covered MDF floor is not only easy to clean but is also seen to eliminate the absorption of liquids and odors.
Available in three variant finishes that include mahogany, chestnut brown, and espresso finishes that very well complement the home’s décor. The crate comes in two sizes: a medium for pets that weighs up to 45 pounds and large for pets for up to 80 pounds.
- Teak mimics durable hard construction.
- Versatile swinging doors that can be opened in and out.
- Available in three variant finishes and two variant sizes.
- Waterproof MDF floor for hassle-free cleaning.
- Odor absorption free.
- Well ventilated and better pet visibility.
- The wooden bars can be easily chewed by the pets.
- Tedious assembly.
6. New Age Pet ecoFlex Wooden Pet Crate/End Table
The ecoFLEX dog crate is built up of ecoFLEX, a non-toxic recycled plastic-wood polymer composite material that does not easily warp, crack or split and can be used as an end table, an occasional table, or a nightstand. The spindles are composed of stainless-steel tubing and a stainless-steel double latch on large and X-Large crates for enhanced security and safety. The crate can be painted to easily blend with one’s home decor. Available in four size variants: Small for dogs up to 20 lbs; Medium for dogs up to 50 lbs; Large for dogs up to 80 lbs and X-large for dogs up to 100 lbs.
- Multiuse ecofriendly dog crate.
- Easy tool-free assembly.
- Two latch system for enhanced security and safety.
- The material is nontoxic hence if chewed by the dogs do not cause serious health hazards.
- Ten years manufacturer’s warranty.
- Not tray pan hence difficult to clean and maintain.
- Not recommended for non-crate trained pets.
7. Internet’s Best Wood & Wire Dog Crate with Cushion
The multifunctional dog kennel is built of sturdy MDF along with metal wire side panels that enhance the durability. This classy look crate also is equipped with brass hardware for securely locking the kennel door.
The wood and wire dog crate have a two-way door opening that allows a hassle-free dog’s entry and exit from either of the side of the door. Hence the crate can be placed anywhere in the house without thinking much about its dimensions.
The best deal of this crate is that it is accompanied by a soft padded dog bed. Suits best for medium sized dog breeds particularly for the ones with dense coats. Because the metal wired sidewalls are seen to allow the maximum airflow inside the crate.
- Sturdy tabletop to use as side tables.
- The double door allows comfort furniture arrangements in the house.
- The dog bed accompaniment is an add on feature.
- Compact design with an excellent and classy finish.
- Not recommended for chewing furry pals.
- Expensive and not stain resistant.
What are the Advantages as well as Disadvantages of a Wooden Dog Crate?
This section will provide insights into the pros and cons of purchasing wooden dog crates for one’s furry pals.
Advantages of Wooden Dog Crate
1. Matches the home decor: A wooden crate will go well with one’s home decor as variant wood colors are available. One can choose according to one’s home decor.
2. Multi-purpose usage:The wooden carrier can not only be used as a natural den for the pets but can also be used as a side table.
3. Minimal damage: The chances of damaging the crate are minimal as a wooden dog crate with a secure locking latch can confine a dog inside easily. Unlike plastic and metal dog crates, the wooden dog kennels cannot be bend or crumpled. Hence, escape artists that break opens the small opening in the door cannot move out in wooden crates.
4. Well ventilated: The wooden pooch kennels are 360 degrees ventilated. Hence, pet comfort is high.
Disadvantages of Wooden Dog Crate
1. Overpriced: The wooden crates are costlier than the other dog kennel variants. Even A DIY wooden dog crate is expensive.
2. Heavyweight:Most of the wooden crates are very bulky and heavy hence they cannot be lifted easily.
3. Non-movable:As the wooden crates are heavy and bulky one cannot easily move within the home or can relocate it hassle freely.
What are the features that one needs to look for while choosing the best wooden dog crate for everyday use?
The section underneath provides the information on the important features that a pet parent needs to look in while zeroing on the right wooden dog crate for their furry pals based on their needs and budget.
Pet size measurement :One needs to know the dog’s height, length, and weight to choose the right dog carrier. A pet crate should be large enough for a furry pal so that it can turn around easily, curl up and also stretch out when lying down.
Measurement technique: Measure the pets back starting from the neck at the point where the collar sits, to the base of the tail plus add a few extra inches to this measurement. The shoulder height from the top of the shoulders to the ground also needs to be recorded.
Crate durability: The wooden products available are quite varied as different types of wood variants are spread around. It is always difficult to estimate the durability of the wood unless the buyer is a carpenter or a person who has immense knowledge about the wood types.
Higher-end wooden crates that are readily available are mostly built of MDF. Hardwood crates are generally custom made and if one chooses to get one built they need to choose a hard and dense woods like oak over softer woods like pine as the latter is easier to be chewed by the pet pals.
If one opts for a combination model, which is what is available commercially, then one should ensure that the wires are thick and welded well. Hardware durability is the greatest concern with fully wooden crates as there are high chances of the mounts to tear easily.
Waterproof crate bottom: The bottom of the wood crate needs to be waterproof. If not one needs to carefully line the bottom with a waterproof lining as:
- Dog urine is remarkably caustic on wood and seeps deeply through it, leaving behind disgusting odors and unremovable stains.
- Water can also be spilled in the crate bottom while the pooch binges on water.
Dog temperament: Analyze if a wooden dog crate will suit one’s pet as wood is a material that can be chewed easily and if chewed is dangerous to the pooches. Hence this crate type is not recommended for pets that are destructive, nervous, and have the habit of chewing objects.
Maintenance: Unlike the other dog crates, wood crates will not have an underneath floor pans or trays outside. Either one needs to look wooden crates with removable or slidable trays inside it.
Ventilation: The dog crate should be well ventilated for easier airflow and improved visibility.
DIY Wooden Dog Crate Plans
Building a DIY wooden dog crate is fun but requires huge investment and is very less productive. The planning, designing, and executing (PDE) are three key methods that one needs to follow while building a DIY wooden crate with a basic level of craftsmanship. Building a DIY dog home is seen to improve as well as increase the dog- pet parent relationship.
Characteristics of DIY wooden pooch crate
- Sturdy and robust
- High quality
- Matches the home decor.
A carpenter who designs the home decor is the best option to make a DIY wooden dog crate of the desired design at a lower price. This will not only blend better with the home decor but will also be budget friendly.
This article provides insights into the wooden kennels, their features, and their importance. This knowledge will help new pet parents that are looking to invest in the right dog crate for their furry friend. Happy parenting!!!
Frequently asked questions
Q. What kind of dogs are best suited for wooden dog crates?
A. Wooden dog crates are not recommendable for dogs who are excessive chewers, anxious and hyperactive pooches, large and giant dog breeds, and non-crate trained pets. This crate is more suitable for fidos that are already crate trained and do not become restless when confined to a den-like structure for a prolonged time period.
Q. What are the advantages of crate training?
A. Crate training is recommended by all proficient trainers as one of the quickest ways to correct abusive behavior problems in dogs. A crate helps in potty training, relocating, air traveling and provides a den-like experience for the young puppies to feel safe and secure.
Q. Where should a crate be placed indoors?
A. If the dog bites up toys and destroys the home furnishings then one should manage a crate to keep it safe. A dog kennel can be placed in the room where the loving pet feels secure when home alone and when not alone should be placed at a place where most of the family spends their time when at home.
Q. How does one measure the perfect crate size for their dog?
A. Measure the dog size and choose a crate that has 2-3 extra inches in height than the actual dog measurement. The length should be 5-6 inches more and the fido should have enough space to turn around and lie down comfortably.
- 7 Best Motorcycle Dog Carriers – [Reviews and Buying Guide]
- 7 Best Dog Crates and Carriers for Car Travel – [Reviews and Buying Guide]
- 7 Best Dog Car Booster Seats [Reviews and Buying Guide]
- 7 Best Dog Bike Baskets- Buying Guide and Product Review