A dog crate is a pivotal tool required for the successful upbringing of a puppy. The pet cages today are made up of different materials and are available in variant sizes, colors, design. The most popular ones are the plastic and wire dog crates. This article will not only provide an insight into buying a wired dog crate but will also review some of the top-wired dog crates with maximum customer satisfaction.
What is a Wired Dog Crate? Why Does One Need It?
Wired dog crates are wire enclosure with a door that not only replicates a dog’s natural den but also to provides it with a place of refuge at home or during travelling and relocation. Some of the other uses of a dog crate include puppy potty training, air travel, area restriction during the training periods, confining the fido to a restricted area during guest visits or in areas where pets free roaming is restricted.
What are the features that one needs to look for when purchasing a wired dog crate?
The features mentioned in this section need to be looked for while choosing the right wire crate for the pet pal.
- Crate size: The pet measurements play a pivotal role in zeroing on the right crate size for the furry pal. As a very small or very large crate will not serve the purpose of its investment. Please refer https://allabout-pets.com/all-about-dog-carriers-how-to-choose/ for in detail pet measurement calculation on our website.
- Removable pan: Crates with sliding removable and washable pans need to be chosen for hassle-free maintenance.
- Portability: Look for crates that can be folded and have handles. Foldable crates are space savers when not in use and can be easily carried during relocation.
- Design durability: The wire of the crate should not be too thin or thick. Thin wires make the crate flimsy and escape artists tend to break open easily. while thick wires are seen to block the visibility.
- Crate floor: Steel, plastic or metal bottoms are one type that suits well for dogs that like to chew on things. Steel and plastic floors are not recommended due to their less comfort quotient. Hence, the best crate floors are metal bottoms with washable beds.
- Closing and lock system: Most of the cheap crate comes with a single door with a latch. The expensive ones have two doors with two latches for enhanced security, safety and easy access.
- Construction: The crate should be built of coated stainless and wire in a sturdy, easy to clean finish that is safe for chewy dogs. The wire points of the crates need to be rounded as the chances of the dog hurting or cutting themselves on sharp edges is enhanced.
- Support stand: Choose on crates that have rubber feet or get one fixed. This will not only protect the floor from scratching but will also reduce the creaky noises when dogs move around.
7 Best Wire Dog Crates for Everyday Use
This section will review the most rated wire crates of the market.
#1: MidWest Homes for Pets Dog Crate
This all-inclusive dog crate has many features for the pet comforts that include a convenient divider panel that can be expanded as the dog grows.
This double door folding has a slide-bolt latching system and rounded corners that enhance pet safety and security and is available in seven sizes and is ideal for dogs weighing up to 110 pounds.
This durable design is available in seven sizes, is ideal for dogs weighing up to 110 pounds and is also equipped with a removable pan stop.
The crate can be easily assembled with no tools and folds flat for convenient storage. The roller feet feature not only protects hardwoods but also makes repositioning hassle-free.
- Expandable divider panel for growing dogs.
- Roller feet to prevent floor scratching.
- Portable and space saver.
- Easy tool-less assembly.
- Rounded corners for more pet protection.
- Double door with slide latches.
- Customer reviews suggest that this crate is not suitable for high energy large and extra-large escape artists.
#2: AmazonBasics Folding Metal Dog Crate
The Amazonbasics folding metal crate is available in six size variants from 22- to 48-inches-long with a single or double door. The crate features durable metal-wire construction with mini diver bars to prevent slipping of the paws between gaps for enhanced strength and optimal ventilation and visibility. The rounded corners not only aids in protecting the pets but also promote safety.
The versatile divider panel feature of the crate can not only be used to reduce the crate size but also aids in potty training puppies.
This metal dog crate can be assembled easily without the aid of tools. A removable and washable plastic pan is provided, this sits at the bottom of the crate and is can be easily cleaned during the events of water-bowl spills or an accident.
- Works for all dog breed sizes.
- Durable metal construction with mini diver bars for enhanced safety.
- Not recommended for Houdini-inspired pups and strong dogs.
#3. Paws & Pals Dog Crate Double-Door Folding Metal – Wire Pet Cage
The Paws and pet dog crate design is innovative and is available in six different sizes. It is constructed from solid steel, high tensile strength wire, and a black electro-coat finish for long-lasting durability. Best suited for dogs that have chewing habits.
The crate features rounded sharp metal edges to protect the pet as well as its family from cuts. A double door system allows convenient access to the interior. Security is assured with non-resistant slide-bolt latches.
This crate is also totally washable and is also equipped with an ABS removable plastic tray with an easy slide-out motion. Finally, the pet also features a space-saving design, allowing it to be stored anywhere when not in use.
- Innovative long-lasting and durable.
- Full metal body suits best for dogs with chewing habit.
- Washable crate with a removable sliding pan.
- Portable and foldable for easy transportation.
- Safe secure with slide bolt latches.
- Door system with slide-bolt latches.
- Easy tool-less assembly.
#4. Best Pet metal pet crates
The BestPet dog crate is built of high tensile-strength wire gauge and is ideal for training and transporting well-behaved furry friends and is available in five size variants that suit dogs of all sizes.
The life of the crate is extended with the pet crate epoxy coating finish and is rust-, corrosion-, and fade resistant even in highly extreme climates.
The pet cage is designed to have two large easy openable doors equipped with heavy-duty secured dual latches for enhanced safety and security.
The pet crate features a pet cage divider that can be used to separate two pets in two spaces and can also be used to potty train puppies.
The dog cage also Includes a durable leak-proof ABS composite tray that is stain-, warp-, corrode- or odour-resistant to prevent accidental spills of food and water. This crate is portable and is a space saver as it can be folded flat.
- A front and side door with safety latches for convenience.
- Convenient split divider.
- Durable antirust black epoxy coating sturdy metal construction.
- Travel safe and space saver.
- Recommended only for crate trained pets
#5: IRIS Wire Dog Crate with Mesh Roof
Iris pet crates are deluxe playpens available in two size variants and eight bright colours that suit well for small to medium dogs. The crate is perfect for not fully house-trained puppies.
The crate features heavy gauge epoxy-coated wire sides and moulded bottom tray. It also has a large sliding access door with a positive-lock latch. The mesh roof is removable and is also provided with a hoop and loop fasteners. Anti-scratch non-skid rubber feet are also provided at the bottom of the crate for safety and security.
- Compact and stylish design.
- Sliding door takes up lesser space than the swinging doors.
- Crate also suits not completely home-trained puppies.
- Available in eight vibrant colours.
- Not suited for dogs that are restless and have a chewing habit.
- Slightly expensive.
#6: ProSelect Easy Dog Crates
A bargain-priced dog crate that is easy to use, clean, move, and store. These lightweight crates are wire dog crates with dual latching doors and are available in six variant sizes.
ProSelect easy dog crates can be folded flat and possess a handle hence are effortless for travel and storage. Also includes a black plastic removable tray for easy cleaning.
- Lightweight and pocket friendly.
- Compact and unique looking.
- Not recommended for chewing and escape artists.
#7: Carlson Single Door Wire Crate
The Carlson single door wire crate is best suited for tiny furry friends within 25 pounds. The wire crate folds flat, making it easy for travel and storage.
This door crate can be used from puppy to dog stage for dogs up to 25 pounds. The crate is also provided with a removable and washable floor pan which can be cleaned hassle freely.
The crate is quick and easy to set up with no tools required and can be used for indoor and outdoor use.
- The crate is a great tool for house training.
- Fits two small pooches without any hassles.
- Sturdy and budget friendly.
- Sharp metal edges.
What makes wire crates the best choices for pets?
Wire crates are most trending of all types due to the following pointers
- Wire crates are strong and durable- These dog crates are extremely tough and long-lasting as they are built of metal. There is a minimal effect of wear and tear over time and they are impervious to dogs scratching and biting it. A single crate will easily last a lifetime.
- Hassle-free maintenance- As the metal is non-absorbent and non-reactive to washing detergent cleaning the wire crates is very simple and easy.
- 360-degree ventilation- Wired crates offer all-round ventilation for ample airflow and better visibility for the pups. Many pups like this setup as they get their confined space and spend time with family too.
- Highly portable- A wire crate is light and collapsible and can be assembled in minutes without tools. Hence, they are highly portable for storage or transportation.
- One crate for lifetime- Most of the wire crates have a divider that can be used to resize large crates into smaller ones. Hence, one crate will be enough for a pet’s whole life.
What are the possible drawbacks of a wire crate?
The possible drawbacks of a wire crate include
- The crate is not suitable for cold climates as the space for sheltering is less.
- Wire crates can be a little creaky when large dogs move around a lot.
- The chances of floor scratching are high when they are moved within the home.
- Wire crates are not suitable for outdoor use as the chances of the metal to rust increases.
- Not recommended for restless, chewy and anxiety-stricken dogs.
Investing in the right dog crate needs extensive researching as each dog breed is unique. This article has provided insights on wire dog crates that will be quite useful for time pet parents that are looking to invest the right crates for indoor use, potty training or travelling purpose.