This article is meant for all those dog parents who have got themselves an Alaskan Malamute companion. Let us help you with naming your pet pooch with style and meaning.
About Alaskan Malamute
The Alaskan Malamute is a cousin to the Siberian Husky, Canadian Eskimo Dogs, and the Spitz family. They are large dogs that often pull sleds. The Alaskan Malamute was first bred as a sled dog because of their stamina and strength. Some people believe that the Malamute is one of the basal breeds for all the modern dog breeds of the 19th Century.
The female Malamute dogs, on average, are about 23 inches tall and 75 pounds heavy, while the male stands at 25 inches and 85 pounds in weight with some fluctuations. They have heavy and downy double coats of fur and range many colors like white, grey, black, red and a combination of more than one of these. The Malamute has a dark eye rather than the icy blue eyes of their Siberian Husky cousins, which is considered a sign of purity of the breed.
They are extremely athletic and traditionally aid humans in mushing, sledding and carting sports. These dogs are adaptive to their surroundings and are easily domesticated. Malamutes are great with people and aren’t guard-dogs. They are quiet and playful and love to talk to their humans by howling.
The Alaskan Malamute is a great therapy dog!
How to Pick Name for Your Dog
As with children, it is important to put thought into naming your dogs as well. An Alaskan Malamute, a dog larger than a Husky, deserves a name to do it justice. Here are a few pointers to get you started in the right direction while choosing the dog name:
- Common names versus Popular names – You must keep in mind not to name your dog a common human name as it could be awkward to have a dog named the same as a friend or family member. On the other hand, choose popular names such as that of your favorite character out of a book or your favorite popstar!
- Commands and particular words – Some words indicate commands that you may want to train your Malamute to follow. Make sure that you do not name your dog these words so as not to confuse them.
- Traits of the dog – Choose a name that suits the breed of dog you have. For Malamutes, we suggest picking names that are large and grand as your dog will imitate the nature of his name!
- Short names – Pick a short name for your dog so that it is easier to call them and indicate to them to take some action in an instant. This could be achieved by picking a shorter name, or using their initials if the name is longer.
50 Names for Your Male Alaskan Malamute with Meanings
Here are some names to give to your male Alaskan Malamute pup:
For those dog-parents who like to name their pooches with meaningful names from across the world, we suggest these names:
- Kronos – For a large Alaskan Malamute named after the Titan and father of the Greek God Zeus.
- Slate – After the type of rock.
- Hercules – Very strong man.
- Asher – Meaning happiness
- Remy – the French word for an oarsman on a racing crew.
- Bolt – Strike of lightening
- Bentley – The car brand
- Otis – Meaning wealthy
- August – Meaning happiness
- Gunner – Meaning warrior
- Jasper – Meaning treasure hunter
- Boon – Meaning blessings
- Knox – Meaning small hill or hillock
- Beau – a French word meaning handsome
- Duke – Meaning leader or authority
- Ezra – Hebrew word for helper
- Leo – Meaning Lion
- Uri – Meaning Flame or light
- Taj – Sanskrit word for crown
- Victor – Latin term for champion
50 Names with Meanings for Your Female Alaskan Malamute
Here are some name suggestions to give to your female Alaskan Malamute puppies:
If you are looking for names for your female Alaskan Malamute pup that have deeper meanings, here are some to choose from:
- Stella – Meaning stars
- Bella – Meaning beautiful in Italian
- Adele – Meaning noble
- Flora – Meaning Flowers
- Jewel – Meaning the precious stone
- Sophie or Sophia – Latin term meaning wisdom
- Reign – Meaning term of rule
- Rania – Meaning Queen
- Hera – A Greek goddess
- Eva – Latin term for living one
- Lady – A term of nobility
- Lumi – The Finish word for snow
- Luna – Roman Goddess of the Moon
- Ursa – Latin term for bear
- Vera – Latin term meaning true
- Venus – The Roman name for the Goddess of Love
- Siren – the Greek name for beautiful women who would entice men with their song and then entrap them
- Rogue – Meaning mischievous or rebellious
- Riley – Irish and Gaelic word meaning valiant
- Mira – Sanskrit word for ocean
Inuit Names for your Alaskan Malamute
You can now borrow some Inuit tribal names for your Alaskan Malamute from this list!
20 Best Native American Names for your Alaskan Malamute
Here are some American Indian inspired names for the Alaskan Malamute:
20 Best Tribal Names for your Alaskan Malamute
This is a list of tribal names to help name your Alaskan Malamute to help you!
20 Best Names in Local Languages for Your Alaskan Malamute
Here are some names to give to your Alaskan Malamute from the local languages around the USA.
20 Best Nature Inspired names for the Alaskan Malamute
This next table contains names that are inspired by nature, for your Alaskan Malamute.
20 Best Geography Inspired Names for Your Alaskan Malamute
The geography of the area that the Malamute belongs to can be quite inspiring when thinking of names!
20 Best Historical Names for your Alaskan Malamute
These are some names of historical importance to give to your Alaskan Malamute:
20 Best City and Town Inspired Names for your Alaskan Malamute
Here are some names for your Alaskan Malamute, inspired by the names of cities and towns:
|Laska (From Alaska)||Harlem|
Landmark Inspired Names for your Alaskan Malamute
Here are some names to give to your dog that are inspired by landmark locations:
The process of naming a dog, especially one as large and stately as the Alaskan Malamute can be difficult. The name must match the personality of the dog and also its physical characteristics. Therefore, this article was written to make this search for the perfect name as simple as possible. With our diverse heads of name inspiration, we hope that we can provide you with a great muse for naming your Alaskan Malamute perfectly!
Other Dog Names
- 350+ Husky Names – Choose The Perfect Name For Your Husky
- Best Celebrity Dog Names – Here Are the Most Hilarious Names Stars Chose